Joe Heaton has over 10 years experience in IT, ranging from Web Technologies, High Performance Computing, Automation and Cloud. Fully self-driven learning in areas ranging from Linux, web technologies, cryptography, networking & programming.
I have worked in Public & Private Sectors, incl. Academia, across a swathe of IT specialisations including High Performance Computing, Cloud, Web & Cyber Security; I have experience in Platform Engineering, Support, Planning, Service Architect & Team Leadership.
I’m a gamer, either playing complex real-time strategy or co-operative survival!
I run my own online infrastructure since college as a continuous learning experience; examples on https://www.heaton.dev
Highly experienced in Linux, System Administration, Open Source, Web, Software Development, Networking, Automation, Containers, Cloud.
timeline section Education 2009-2011 : Software Development BTEC : Encounter with Linux : Web Development in HTML5 / CSS3 : Hosting websites on Apache / NGINX : PHP Programming : Ruby on Rails : Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla : Host XMPP chat server : Game servers section Independent Learning 2012-2016 : Web Development : Freelance development : Virtualization : Cloud Virtual Machines : Install every Linux distribution : Research Cryptography & emerging Blockchain : Technical Employments : Team Leader section High Performance Computing 2017-2021 : Employed at Met Office : Work on Top20 Supercomputing systems : Highly proficient with Linux in HPC : Service Design & Delivery : Champion modern development practices : Technical Talks : Employed at University of Bristol : Remote-only Working : Deploy cutting-edge hardware & software systems in production 2022-Present : Employed at Appsbroker : Intense consultancy projects : Adapt to Cloud Native and Agile methodologies : Focus on high value workflows and cross-cloud technology : Kubernetes
- High Performance Computing
- Linux System Administration
- Google Cloud / AWS / Azure
- Infrastructure as Code
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery
High Performance Computing
- Supercomputer system administrator
- Service architect experience
- Experience with exotic compute architectures
- Experience with SLURM & PBS schedulers
- GCC/Clang/LLVM/Bespoke Compilers
- Spack package builder
- Bash, Python
- Web Development
- Static Site Generators
- Caching, Content Delivery Networks, DDoS prevention
- Implement secure systems
- Responsible for Personally Identifiable Information
- Agile methodologies
- ITIL Change & Incident Management
- Experience in a range of business scales:
- Academia / University
- >1000 Employee Organisations
- Public Sector
- Small and Medium-sized enterprises